We had had only been dating for a month and I did the unthinkable. In a spur of the moment, red faced, wish I could take it back second I blurted out- "I'm going home to NJ for my birthday next weekend, wanna come?" Oh. My. Goodness. I had just asked him to come home and spend my birthday with me ... and MY FAMILY. It was way too soon to be asking my boyfriend to meet the parents. Let alone, drive three hours to meet the parents. But, in half a heartbeat he quietly responded yes. And relief washed over me.
Within hours of arriving in my home town, he was in my grandparent's house. As we sat down to lunch, my Grandmom leaned over to him and asked for no reason whatsoever, "Do you play tennis?" His eyes danced and he responded, "Not professionally." And she laughed, she laughed so hard she almost fell out of her wheelchair. And as she laughed, I fell in love. Right there in my grandparent's dining room.
A place that was once mine, quickly became ours. And now, every year, we go down to The Shore for my birthday. We spend a long weekend playing in the sun and visiting all of our favorite places. In honor of our upcoming trip, I thought I would share a list of all the things we love about The Jersey Shore. A little hint? The list does NOT include Snookie! :)
1. The Circus Drive In My recomendation? The softshell crab sandwich and a creamsicle freeze. YUM!!
2. The carousel in Seaside Heights. We decided a carousel would be the perfect wedding venue while riding this one!
3. Point Pleasant Boardwalk. Kinda touristy, but we always have to stop in for some skee ball, Kohr's Frozen Custard, and a quick spin on the Himalaya!
4. The dog beach in Manasquan. Hey, this vacation includes Andy too!!
5. I have to give a shout out to Susan Murphy's. A home made ice cream shop in Spring Lake that recently closed, but used to sell Green Apple Sherbet. LOVED!
6. Steamers from Spike's! 7. Watching the sun rise and set on Sea Girt Beach 8. Miniature Golf!!
9. Visiting Brave New World to buy Mike some new boardshorts!
10. Going to eat at Mr. Shrimp with our NJ parents
11. Listening to live music at The Tiki Bar 12. Flying kites on Sea Girt Beach.
13. Riding bikes out to Allaire and stopping at the Allenwood General Store for a pork roll egg and cheese!
And this one comes directly from Mike...
14. Drinking an ice cold Grolsch with our NJ Dad! Hey, boys will be boys! :)
So, what are your favorite things to do on vacation?
Wanna be friends? Check yes or no. http://www.facebook.com/jbossettgargano