Sarah Wellmeier you had me at Hello;) As soon as I seen the title;) I was also raised on macaroni and tomatoes....and to this day make about once a week. We love it and yes it does remind me of my childhood:) P.S. you look like your mom....Just beautiful!!  Jan 4, 2010, 9:24am

Nicole A beautiful post and a beautiful picture!  Jan 3, 2010, 6:43pm

Alice This is such a precious portrait!  Jan 3, 2010, 6:20pm

maggieb ...tuggin' at my heartstrings...  Dec 29, 2009, 9:49pm

Brent Pilgrim What a beautiful post at a time of the year for family! Thanks for finding my blog Mary, and I now have yours on my "Daily Reads" list. Happy New Year to you too!  Dec 29, 2009, 11:33am

grandmaIna What a beautiful story. I can see why you are so strong and so wonderful! I'm so glad Justin found you!  Dec 29, 2009, 9:50am

lauren thank you for this post, mary. we all have our 'thing'...our version of "macaroni & tomatoes" that we will never forget...and never grow tired of! it's so important to remember how far we've come but more important to remember just where we've come from... thank you, again! *  Dec 29, 2009, 9:47am

Kenzie Shores I love this. thank you :)  Dec 29, 2009, 8:33am

Crystal And, no I didn't miss the point of your mom's powerful story... it's just that food is such a powerful tool in a person's life... i can't help sharing. (plus, the former personal chef in me loves talking about food... and eating it!)  Dec 28, 2009, 11:11pm

Crystal Please share this recipe with your mom. It's one of my favorite Mac & Cheese recipes. It's a little spicy, and it has tomatoes! It's sooo good. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spicy-Macaroni-and-Cheese-12786 She doesn't have to forget the hard times, but it can't hurt to tweak that stand-by meal every now and again. ;)  Dec 28, 2009, 11:07pm

Ray Of course this entry made me emotional. It's crazy what your mother went through at only 15 years of age and how she overcame it. She is INDEED an unbelievably strong woman. Thank you for sharing some of her story with us.....Thank you. ;o) P.S. Such a sweet, sweet photo of your mother and you. <3  Dec 28, 2009, 9:59pm

Cathy Crawley That's such a beautiful post. I'm glad you get it :)  Dec 28, 2009, 9:31pm

JC beautiful, Mary. coffee milkshakes (autocrat) and 'linguica dogs' for me...growing up close to New Bedford!  Dec 28, 2009, 4:26pm

heather corporan Scrambled eggs and ketchup for me!! Stale bread and cocoa for my husband. I love this post. I think for those of us that have these memories, we are all the more stronger for the experiances. What a sweet post. Thank you for sharing!  Dec 28, 2009, 3:29pm

zena brown hi mary this is cute my thing was mac and milk love aunt zena  Dec 28, 2009, 3:04pm

Kathrina Thank you for sharing that! Really sometimes we have to look at things in a different perspective and realize things aren't so bad as we dramatize them to be. Thank you and thank you to your mom.  Dec 28, 2009, 1:37pm

regina holder lovely post!! i happen to really like macaroni and tomatoes! i guess it's a southern thing. now, get busy moving those bins! *hugs* to tired marantz' and yay! for being in your new house this week!!!  Dec 28, 2009, 9:55am

brandi Lee This is just beautiful.  Dec 28, 2009, 9:31am

Diane Parsons Mary, that was beautiful! It's nice to come back and thank God and your parents for what you have and what you fought to get! good for you for acknowledging that this time of year!  Dec 28, 2009, 9:22am